Welcome to the MACE® Level I Civilian Aerosol Defensive Spray Training. MACE® has partnered with Legal Heat to bring this premier training to students nationwide. The goal of this class is to help you become a safe, knowledgeable user of personal protective sprays. You will learn about the purchase, possession, and proper usage of aerosol personal defensive sprays.
During this class, you will learn:
- What chemical irritants are in personal protective sprays.
- The science behind how these chemical irritants work on an attacker.
- The concept of situational awareness to help you with personal safety, how conflicts can escalate, and you will learn de-escalation techniques to downshift the conflict when possible.
- The types of personal protective sprays, including how to choose the right product for your personal safety needs, best practices for the care and handling of personal protective sprays.
- How to use aerosol sprays properly, including effective use of sprays in self-defense situations.
- The legal requirements you must consider for the purchase, possession, and defensive use of personal protective sprays.
Each student who attends this course will also receive a free copy of the 30-page student guide, which includes in-depth explanations of the topics discussed in the training, as well as all 50 states’ pepper spray laws.
The course is approximately 4 hours in length.
Frequently Asked Questions
Anyone who carries, or has the desire to carry, personal protective sprays like pepper spray. Many who attend this course either don’t feel comfortable carrying a firearm, or desire to carry pepper spray in locations where they are not legally permitted to carry a firearm. Even if you do carry a firearm, it is strongly recommended that you carry a less than lethal defensive tool for situations where deadly force may not be justified. In short, this course was designed for anyone who has an interest in self-defense.
Much of the course will be taught in a traditional lecture format, with a practical demonstration portion towards the end of the course.
No. Anyone can attend this course. As most civilians have never received any formal pepper spray training, you’ll find most everyone in the course is on the same level. Although there is no minimum age requirement to attend this course, be aware some states have minimum age requirements to possess pepper spray.